It seems that for everything that we say we are doing for “our health,” we are doing at least two things that are bad for our health. Now, I do not have any scientific information to back up those numbers. That I know of, no studies were done on it. It just seems that way in my experience.
See, I do not wear a lot of makeup. In fact, I do not wear any. I think it is bad for your skin and I think I look okay without it. I do not dye my hair because I am afraid that it will end up feeling like straw.
I don’t wear moisturizers like I should. I don’t wear sunscreen like I should. I blow dry my hair regularly. Every few years I get a body wave perm to give my hair some volume – and damage it like hair dye!
So, in my experience even though I try to do good, I’m still doing some things that are not so good for my body. But you know what? I think most of us are like that. In fact, I think most of us make a lot of silly health mistakes. Here are 8 of what I think are the most common ones:
- We over-indulge. Yes that gooey fudge brownie is delicious. And bad for the hips. And thighs. And, well, you get the picture. Of course, sometimes we do not let that stop us. It is so easy to over-indulge and so hard to not! And if you go out to eat it is even more difficult since the serving sizes are so large! So, what do you do? Eat off of smaller plates. It’s a sort of reverse psychology on your self, but it tends to do the trick for me.
- We tan. If we are not going to a tanning salon we are out by the pool or the beach soaking up those cancer rays. And we know that it’s bad for our skin, but we do it anyway in the quest to be dark and beautiful. Fortunately for me all it took was a few close family members getting skin cancer and an aunt getting what I call “leather face” to stop me from tanning. Now, if I can just remember the sunscreen when I’m out.
- We don’t drink enough water. The health benefits of water have long been touted, but we’d rather sip on a Diet Coke. For me the problem is that I like flavor and I suspect that is a lot of people. Well, I have found two ways to make drinking water more enjoyable. A slice of lime in some cold water offers up a burst of flavor. And if I don’t want to do that I grab a Smart Water.
- We smoke or drink. I don’t care what you say, your face will give away if you smoke or drink. Not to mention your hair, smokers. My friends that are smokers have the driest and most brittle hair ever. It’s kinda gross. And when one of them stopped smoking her hair got so much healthier – until she started again! Let me just say this – smoking and drinking ages your face. It’s not a joke and I can’t point to a study on it (but there may be one). The people that I know that regularly drink and smoke look way older than their age. It can’t be a coincidence.
- We don’t get enough exercise. Again we know how good for us it is, but we don’t do it. I know, it seems like such a chore. I have a lot of difficulty myself getting motivated to go to the gym. The solution I have found is showering once a day at night after workouts. See, at first I was showering in the morning, working out after work and then showering again. That is why it seemed like such a chore. Now I know I’ll have to shower at night regardless, so I may as well work out. Of course, sometimes it’s still hard to get motivated.
- We don’t get enough sleep. Guilty! It just seems like there are not enough hours in the day sometimes and as a result time gets taken away from sleeping. But don’t we regret it the following day! Nothing but walking around all groggy. The key here is time management.
- We don’t go to the doctor regularly. Guilty again! I hate going to the doctor. The dentist too. But you know what, discovering something sooner rather than later is a lot cheaper in the long run. The key here is preventative maintenance. While it makes us sound like automobiles, it is true. A few years ago I had a cavity that I kept putting off getting filled. Well, I waited so long that the tooth got so decayed I ended up needing a crown. That’s WAY more expensive!
- We don’t take time to de-stress. Rush hour traffic, hectic meetings at work, rush hour traffic again, making dinner for the family – where is the de-stress time in all of this? We run our body down by not giving it a chance to recharge and de-stress. And that’s insane because stress causes all sorts of health issues! If you need some ideas on how to de-stress check out my post on 41 ways to de-stress.